In this article, we’ll provide a comprehensive guide to ad sizes across Google, Facebook, and Microsoft Ads, sharing suggestions, best practices, and recommendations for each ad network.
Google Ads offer a range of formats to give advertisers greater flexibility in creating display ads that are tailored to their specific goals and needs.
Here are some of the most common ad sizes for Google Ads:
Medium Rectangle (300x250 pixels): This is one of the most popular ad sizes for Google Ads as it’s versatile and can be used on most websites.
Large Rectangle (336x280 pixels): This ad size is similar to the medium rectangle, but it’s slightly larger and can be used to make your ad more prominent.
Leaderboard (728x90 pixels): This ad size is ideal for the top of a website or app and can help draw attention to your ad.
Skyscraper (120x600 pixels): This ad size is tall and narrow, making it ideal for the side of a website or app.
Wide Skyscraper (160x600 pixels): This ad size is similar to the skyscraper, but it’s wider and can be used to display more information.
Best Practices for Google Ads:
- Use high-quality images that are relevant to your brand and the ad’s message
- Improve your CTR with these 8 quick and easy fixes
- Use a clear and concise headline and copy that communicates your message effectively
- Use contrasting colors to make your ad stand out
- Keep the file size of your ad under 150KB to ensure it loads quickly
- Be sure to read up on How to Stop Your Google Ads from Displaying on Non-Targeted Marketing Channels
Facebook is a great place for businesses to advertise their products and services. However, there are several different ad sizes available, and it is important to understand which size to use for different types of ads.
Moreover, with 97.4% of users coming via mobile, it’s important to make sure your ads are optimized for every device type.
Feed Image Ads
Single image ads are the most common type of Facebook ads. They consist of a single image with some accompanying text. The recommended image size for single image ads is at least 1,080 x 1,080 pixels. This size works well for both desktop and mobile devices.
Other things to note are:
- Don’t use more than 20% text on images
- Only use JPG or PNG files
- Headline and link description character limits are 27 characters to avoid being cut off
Video ads are becoming increasingly popular on Facebook. The recommended size for a video ad is at least 1,080 x 1,080 pixels. This size will work well for both desktop and mobile devices. It’s also recommended that you include captions and don’t have black bars around the outside.
Other things to know are:
- Max file size is 4GB
- Max video length is 241 minutes
- MP4, MOV or GIF recommended
Carousel ads allow businesses to showcase several images or videos in a single ad. The recommended image size for carousel ads is 1,080 x 1,080 pixels with a ratio of 1:1.
Businesses can use up to 10 images or videos in a carousel ad, with each one having its own headline, description, and call-to-action.
- Don’t have more than 20% text
- Image file types: JPG or PNG
- Text limits are: 125 characters, Headline: 32 characters, Link Description: 18 characters
Collection ads are designed for mobile devices and allow businesses to showcase multiple products in a single ad. The recommended image size for a collection ad is 1,200 x 628 pixels, while the minimum size is 600 x 600.
The ad will feature a cover image, as well as several product images, descriptions, and call-to-action buttons.
- Image ratio should be 1:1
- Maximum image file size: 30MB
- Use JPG or PNG
- Text should be 125 characters with headlines less than 40 characters to avoid being cut off
You can also have video Collection Ads that should be 1080 x 1080 pixels.
Facebook Marketplace Ads
With Marketplace Ads, businesses can reach a large audience of potential customers who are actively looking to buy and sell items in their community.
- Single image ad: 1200 x 1200 pixels (recommended)
- Carousel ad: 1080 x 1080 pixels
- Collection ad: 1200 x 628 pixels for the cover image and 600 x 600 pixels for the product images
- Video ad: Recommended video size is 1280 x 720 pixels with a minimum width of 600 pixels.
Facebook Instant Articles
Facebook Instant Articles are a feature that allows publishers to create fast-loading, interactive articles within the Facebook app. Instant Articles provide a seamless reading experience for users, as they can view articles without leaving the Facebook app, and with faster loading times than traditional web articles.
In addition to displaying content, Facebook Instant Articles also support ads. Ads can be inserted within the article content, and can be a combination of images, videos, or carousel ads.
Image ads: 600 x 600 pixels (minimum), 1200 x 1200 (recommended)
Video ads: 1080 x 1080 pixels
Carousel ads: 1080 x 1080 pixels
Best Practices for Facebook Ads:
Here are some best practices for creating effective Facebook ads:
- Know your audience: Before creating your ad, define your target audience and tailor your message to their interests and needs. Use Facebook's targeting options to reach the right people based on factors such as demographics, interests, behaviors, and location.
- Use eye-catching visuals: Use high-quality, attention-grabbing visuals such as images or videos to make your ad stand out. Ensure that your visuals are relevant to your message and resonate with your target audience.
- Include a clear call-to-action (CTA): Include a strong and clear CTA that tells your audience what you want them to do, such as "Shop now," "Learn more," or "Sign up." Make sure your CTA is consistent with your ad's objective.
- Test and optimize: Run A/B tests to test different versions of your ad, such as different visuals or messaging, and see what works best for your audience. Use Facebook's ad performance data to optimize your ads over time.
- Follow Facebook's ad policies: Make sure your ad complies with Facebook's ad policies, which include guidelines on prohibited content, restricted content, and community standards.
- Monitor and adjust your ads: Monitor the performance of your ads regularly and make adjustments as needed to improve their effectiveness.
Microsoft Advertising (formerly Bing Ads) offers a variety of ad formats and sizes to choose from. Here are some of the common ad sizes available in pixels:
1. Medium Rectangle (300 x 250)
2. Large Rectangle (336 x 280)
3. Leaderboard (728 x 90)
4. Wide Skyscraper (160 x 600)
5. Half-Page Ad (300 x 600)
6. Large Leaderboard (970 x 90)
7. Billboard (970 x 250)
8. Small Square (200 x 200)
9. Square (250 x 250)
10. Small Banner (468 x 60)
11. Vertical Rectangle (240 x 400)
12. Skyscraper (120 x 600)
13. Panorama (980 x 120)
It's worth noting that not all ad sizes are available for every ad format or placement. The best ad size to use will depend on your advertising goals, the platform you are advertising on, and the targeting options you are using.
Best practices for Microsoft Ads
While many best practices for Microsoft Advertising are similar to those for other search engine advertising platforms, there are some unique best practices specific to Microsoft Advertising. Here are a few:
Use LinkedIn profile targeting: Microsoft Advertising allows you to target users based on their LinkedIn profiles, making it a powerful tool for B2B advertising. You can target users based on job title, company name, industry, and more.
Take advantage of Microsoft Audience Network: The Microsoft Audience Network is a collection of premium advertising inventory across multiple channels, including Outlook.com, Microsoft Edge, and other Microsoft properties. It's important to create ads specifically for the Microsoft Audience Network, as different ad formats may perform better on different channels.
Use ad customizers: Ad customizers allow you to dynamically insert information such as prices, countdowns, and locations into your ad text, making your ads more relevant and personalized. This is particularly useful for businesses with large inventories or multiple locations.
Utilize the Microsoft Advertising Intelligence tool: The Microsoft Advertising Intelligence tool allows you to conduct keyword research and analysis to help optimize your campaigns. The tool provides insights into keyword performance, search volume, and suggested bid amounts.
Consider targeting voice searches: Microsoft Advertising allows you to target voice searches, which are becoming increasingly popular with the rise of voice-enabled devices such as smart speakers and virtual assistants. Optimizing your campaigns for voice search can help you reach a growing audience of users who are looking for information and products using their voice.
Choosing the right display ad size directly impacts the visibility and effectiveness of your campaigns. Larger ad sizes tend to be more noticeable and grab more attention, particularly when placed in prominent locations. This can increase the likelihood of your ad being noticed and clicked on, leading to higher click-through rates and better performance.
Additionally, choosing the right ad size can help you effectively communicate your brand message and stand out in a crowded marketplace, ultimately helping to improve your overall brand awareness and recognition. By selecting the right display ad size, you can create more engaging and effective ads that help to increase your online visibility and drive more traffic to your website.
Be sure all the clicks on your ads are 100% legitimate with a powerful ad fraud solution on your side. To discover more about how Spider AF works, start your free 14-day trial now.